NFR Round 6 News and Notes
Round 6 had plenty of fireworks... and a power outage as we have passed the halfway point of the 2022 NFR. Things are beginning to heat up in World Title races throughout the events. Here are your News and Notes from Round 6.
- Shad Mayfield silences the doubters. Mayfield’s struggles at the NFR are well documented, but last night may have been a breakthrough for the young Tie-Down Roper. Mayfield went 6.5 seconds to tie the arena record and win the round. His run beat out John Douch who went 6.6 seconds the run before his. Mayfield is still alive in the title race but will need to catch Caleb Smidt in the average. Smidt currently holds a nearly 10-second lead over Mayfield.
- Lisa Lockhart is now the projected World Champion in barrel racing after she placed fourth and Jordon Briggs knocked a barrel. Lockhart is still well behind in earnings, but with the average factored in, which she is currently winning, she would overtake Briggs for a Gold Buckle. Lockhart came into the NFR in 14th place in the world, but after placing in all but one round, is in the driver’s seat for a Gold Buckle.
- Rocker Steiner earned his first career NFR win last night after an 88.5-point ride. Steiner has been criticized for his frustration this NFR but says his passion is not going anywhere. Steiner now is projected to finish seventh in the world after the win.
- Stetson Wright has officially added another All-Around World Title to his resume after performance 6. Wright, who has now won his fourth All-Around Title broke his own single-season earnings record at $722,824 on the year. Wright has already earned over $200,000 at the 2022 NFR with four performances to go.
- Orin Larsen is officially out of the 2022 NFR. Yesterday it was reported that JR Stratford was out for the remainder of the rodeo with a broken ankle and Orin Larsen was being held out of the next two rounds. Larsen’s injury will now hold him out of the final four rounds in Las Vegas.
- Tristen Hutchings has become an all-or-nothing cowboy. In the three rounds where Hutchings makes the bell, he has won. In his other three rides, he’s been bucked off. Hutchings now projected to finish third in the world in Bull Riding.