About RFD-TV’s The American
RFD-TV’s The American is an annual event that occurs each year at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The American is now “the world’s richest weekend in Western Sports” and will pay out $2.35 million through a series of qualifiers, the Semifinals, and the final event, RFD-TV’s The American.
The Top 10 from the previous year’s final PRCA standings automatically qualify for the next year’s American and they are pitted against underdogs who advance from The American Semifinals to battle for the biggest single paycheck of their lives.
This year, it will take place March 6 and 7 with the semifinals beginning on Feb. 26.
AT&T STADIUM INFORMATION
1. All fans and stadium employees will be required to wear a mask at all times (including stadium parking lots), the only exception will be when you are eating or drinking or if under ten years of age.
2. Fans must not come to AT&T Stadium if they are have COVID-19 , COVID-19 symptoms or know they’ve been exposed to COVID-19. Take your temperature before departing for AT&T Stadium. If you are feeling sick, stay at home.
3. Fans are required to practice social distancing inside and outside of AT&T Stadium, including parking lots, entry queues and seating.
4. To limit the number of touchpoints between staff and fans on game day, all food, beverage, parking, and retail will become a cashless experience. Major credit and debit cards, as well as mobile pay will be accepted throughout AT&T Stadium
5. Staff at concession stands, catering spaces, and all bars will be trained on CDC recommended guidelines, wearing personal protective equipment, following enhanced handwashing procedures and maintaining cleaning and sanitization protocols of food and beverage contact surfaces. All food items will be served in to-go containers along with pre-packaged disposable ware and condiments.
6. For more information please visit: www.dallascowboys.com/stadium/sage
132 E. Exchange Ave | Fort Worth, TX 76164 | 817.626.6000
2. Hotel Drover
200 Mule Alley | Fort Worth, TX 76164 | 817.420.6014
1600 E. Randall Mill Rd | Arlington, TX 76011 | 682.277.4900
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR THE AMERICAN
The American semifinals are held at Cowtown Coliseum in the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards. Approximately 700 contests compete over four days for the chance to advance to THE AMERICAN and to compete for the $1,000,000 side pot. In addition to the competition inside Cowtown Coliseum, fans will be able to enjoy the FanZone in the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards. While there, they can attend concerts, watch demonstrations, enjoy food trucks and much more.
THE SIDE POT
THE American invites the top rodeo athletes in seven events from the PRCA to compete for a $2.35 million purse in the home of the Dallas Cowboys. Anyone can qualify via the Semifinals. Any contestant who advances from the semis to The American and wins the entire rodeo will split a bonus of $1 million with their fellow cowboys and cowgirls who qualify through the semifinals. Last year, Shad Mayfield (tie-down roping) and Wyatt Casper (saddle bronc riding) each took home an additional $500,000.
There are three ways to qualify for competition in The American. The top contestants in the world receive invitations. Additionally, a handful of exemptions are offered to the brightest stars in the sport. And finally, hopeful contestants can pay an entry fee to compete at “qualifiers” throughout the year sanctioned by PRCA, Better Barrel Races and Ultimate Calf Roping. In past years, nearly 4,000 entries competed at 70 qualifying events to make the American Semifinals. Typically, the 700 athletes who qualify for the semifinals are competing for about 40 spots total in The American.
Rodeo and bucking bull companies from across the country bring some of their best animal athletes to test the skills of the bareback, saddle bronc and bull riders.